Rodrixar

Friday, August 8

Isn't that something ? | Motivational Short Quotes

The Power of Being Motivated

by Rodrigo Silveira


“Isn’t that something?!”
I know, I know… I promised to write about “The Richest Man in Babylon.” However, some things have happened this week that I think will be more meaningful for now. Besides, the facts are still fresh in my mind that if I put it off until next time it probably won’t be as real or something. So here’s what happened: Opportunities mixed with opposition; challenges mixed with stress; bitterness mixed with sweetness; In short, life happened. But only this time there was a very significant one involved in the distress, in the high drama of the events of my days. So seeing the different emotions, the actions and reactions, the different interpretations of each situation, I found it very interesting to see how people are so different and how quick people can change.

Is it possible to win if you can't lose?

What would happen if I walked inside Maracana in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with a Kanguroo leather, hand stitched, Nike soccer ball with me, stopped a few feet from the goal and kicked the ball between the three pipes, all the way to the back polyester net behind it? Would I be considered a world champion? Of course not. Not unless there are 10 other people with me and 11 others against me. Not unless there's 90,000 people on the stands screaming my name, my mother's name, and one other name, an adjetive, doing everything withing their power to stop me from being successful at what I was about down in that field.

So it is in life. Unless the opportunity to fail is there, the ability to win is not real. Unless there's a challenge, an opposition, a reasonable change that things will go wrong, you cannot triumph. You cannot be victorious unless you could become the loser if you didn't do what you did to crown you the champion. However obvious this may seem to some, to others, I have come to realize more fully this week, this is nonsense. That's the reason we see so much complaining all around us. We need to understand that this is the essence of life. There is no wave without wind.

Isn't that something?!

But what about people's reactions to the challenges of life? What do we do when it very directly affects us? Sometimes one's foolish actions or one's distracted reactions can have a very negative impact on us. How do we change that? I guess the only way to change that would be to change ourselves. Some people do things and others do other things. There's a famous story about two twin brothers whose father was an alcoholic. One brother grew up to be just like his father, while the other was a successful business man. When asked how their life turned out the way they did, this is what they both said: because my dad was a drunk! What was an excuse for poor behavior for one brother was also the biggest motivation for the other brother to never end up like his loser father.

Of course, this is a little different than everyday occurances. A few days ago I was about to present something I considered very special to someone I considered even more special. As this thing I was making was almost done, someone told me it was such a tragedy of an idea. After thinking about it for a few millionths of a second, I realized it indeed was a ridiculous idea. The receiver of this, let's say, gift, would probably find it hideous. I could have ignored this advice I had just received and proceeded with what I had originally thought to be the greatest idea ever. This is what I said to myself, however, "Isn't that something?!"

After a slight adjustment in my thinking (and several extra dollars moving from the credit side to the debit side of my books), my idea was presented and I experienced quite literally one of the most memorable days of my life. Had I stressed out about being in the wrong, that day would not have been any different than so many others that no longer fill my collection of good memories.

A few days later, however, a slight missunderstanding between me and this same person caused different emotions to emerge. I left work out of the blue, very worried about something, broke my own record by getting home from work in under 10 minutes (with slight traffic and some detours, even). Something different than what I had expected, visualized in my mind, and hoped for had happened. I could have stressed out again, yelled and cussed at this other person (just like it happened to me), but again, the words fell from my [juicy and sexy] lips: Isn't that something?! Then I moved on.

So here's the moral of the story: What's the difference between a good pilot and a regular pilot? The good pilot recognizes his mistakes and fixes them promptly.

Don't think I'm suggesting that I'm a pilot at all. Don't mistake what I say and do for who I claim to be. This is truth coming from an imperfect man, but the verity of the matter remains. Don't waste your time and energy with that which mattereth not, and which moth and dust will corrupt. Let things go and don't try to fix everything and everyone if the problem is a minor one. Learn the difference between majors and minors.

As Denis Waitley mentions in his book Seeds of Greatness, one of the seven C's we can control in our lives (there's not a whole lot of things we have control over in this life, actually) is our Concerns. The next one is our Causes, but I don't want to get too much into the C's right now, because I would like to talk about his book after I keep my promise so people don't write me hatemail.

So yeah, I'm running off to California in less than 7 minutes, so I'll just wrap it up right here. Thanks for reading again!

Rodrigo Silveira [isn't-she-lovely]

No comments:

Post a Comment